Creating things, especially things for our home, gives me so much happiness. I make a lot of things for our home usually to scratch a creative itch, but lately I’ve been making a lot more things simply to save money. I love the planning/inspiration process when I see something I love in a store or online (usually it’s way too much $) and I plan how I could make it myself, all the while saving money and having way more fun.
Today I’m sharing a lovely rustic poster that I came up with after visiting The Found Cottage. I bought the poster there for $7, and the other materials I had around the house already, so this whole poster only cost $7! 😉 Compared to ones I’ve seen from $30 and up, I’d say this is a pretty amazing deal. And it’s really simple and easy to do, too!
To make it, all you need is:
- a poster you like
- 2 one inch wide wood pieces that are as long (or a bit longer than) your poster width
- twine or string
- hot glue gun
- Gather all your materials
- Cut the wood pieces (they should be about 1-2 inches wide, and as long as the poster’s width)
- Cut a length of string that will be long enough to tie on each end of one wood piece (I didn’t measure, but it’s probably 1-11/2 feet)
- Tie string near edge of each end of the piece of wood you’ll use for the top of the poster
- Use you hot glue gun to glue the edge of the poster
- Press the wooden piece firmly down (try to get it as straight as possible) until glue cools.
- Repeat on the opposite side of poster with the other piece of wood. During this step, since I was using a small table I found it helpful to put the already glued end of the poster up on another table, so there was no pressure on the paper (of course, if you’re smart you’ll just do the whole project on a big table like I should have done 😉).
When the glue is dry, hang wherever you wish. Voila! Now you have an awesome rustic poster in your home!
If you end up making one of these, be sure to take a pic and share it on Instagram using the hashtag #meediys. That way I’ll be able to see your awesome work. As always, leave a comment below and let me know what you think!